This page is to let you know how to do quick things that maybe don’t require a full recipe, but do require a bit of direction. If you can think of any that I don’t have listed here, please let me know!
You can buy my cookbook with more tips and tricks here!
Want to get new recipes right away? Subscribe here!
How to Caramelize an Onion:
- Make sure you have an onion, and 2/3 cup olive oil OR vegetable broth.
- Slice the onion done the middle, and then cut longways into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Heat the liquid in a frying pan on med/high. Add the onion and coat completely. Let it saut?, stirring consistently for 6-8 minutes. The onions should be soft and translucent, and have a texture similar to caramel, which make sense based on the name!
How to Boil Beets:
- Wash your beets well. I like the skin on, but some people don’t so peel them if you are one of those.
- Put in a small sauce pan and cover them with water.
- Bring to a boil, and let it go for 30 minutes. Remove and strain, and wait until the are cool enough to slice up and eat.
How to Massage Kale:
- Have Kale, Olive Oil and White Vinegar ready to go.
- Wash the Kale, put it in a bowl, add 1/2 cup of olive oil and 2 Tbsp of vinegar.
- Wash your hands, and get right in there and start literally massaging it. It will take 2-3 minutes, and the kale will release moisture and become soft. Check out the pictures I have of Kale Salad to see the texture. Let me know if a video would be helpful, I got you if it will!
How to bake a Potato:
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Get your russet potato and some olive oil
- Poke 8-12 holes in the potato with a fork.
- Drizzle the potato with olive oil
- Place the potato on a baking sheet or right on the rack.
- Bake for 50 minutes
How to Bake a Sweet Potato:
1). Follow the directions above, just use a sweet potato instead of a russet.
How to Steam Broccoli:
- Make sure you have a sauce pan and a steaming basket.
- Put about 1 inch of water in the pan, make sure it doesn’t go over the top of the basket.
- If you bought a head of broccoli, not florets, cut it up into florets.
- Bring the inch of water to a boil, put the basket in the pot and cover.
- If you aren’t trying to be super healthy and are looking to indulge, ad a tbsp of butter to the pot.
- Let the broccoli cook for 6 minutes
How to Bake Spaghetti Squash:
- CAREFULLY cut the spaghetti squash. I am still really bad at this, so I don’t have any great advice but use a sharp knife, cut away from you and cut right down the middle.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Pull all the seeds and guts out.
- Drizzle the inside with olive oil. If you have a brush, use that to spread the oil around. Otherwise, use a spoon, or tilt the squash bowl back and forth to spread it.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.